Hidden Costs: Food Security Remote Workshop 2022
October 20, 2022, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Themes for Discussion
Concentration in food supply chains
- Corporate and country level
- Anatomy of price due to concentration. Where does the money go when prices rise?
- An old problem, even before globalization
Countries are dependent on certain export countries where food production is concentrated
- Net importers
- Subsidy systems lead to more dependence
- Did COVID-19 change anything in net importing countries?
Food commodities trading
- Link between corporate concentration and commodities trading?
- Focus on speculation?
Right to food
- Unlike public health or access to medicine, food is more private (with some notable exceptions)
Are we actually growing food?
- Food for fuels, feed, etc.
- Should we use the term food security or food systems or even food sovereignty?
- Who is actually controlling the food supply chain?
- What are some key products/goods that might help tell the story?